Tavares Animal Hospital

418 East Alfred Street, Tavares, FL 32778
Monday thru Friday 8:00am - 5:30pm

Office: (352) 343-7793 Emergency: (407) 644-4449

Fourth of July Pet Safety

Holidays are always fun, especially when our pets can enjoy the day with us. Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind so your pet can have fun with you and not ruin your day with a trip to the doctor.

Never leave alcoholic drinks where pets can get to them.

Alcohol is poisonous to pets. Giving your pet a taste is never a good idea. Animals can become very weak and severely depressed. In extreme cases the animal could go into a coma or die from respiratory failure.

Do not apply any sunscreen or insect repellent product to your pet that is not labeled specifically for use on animals.

Ingesting sunscreen products can cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy. The insect repellent DEET can lead to neurological problems.

Always keep matches and lighter fluid away from pets.

Certain types of matches contain chlorates, which could potentially damage blood cells and result in difficulty breathing—or even kidney disease in severe cases. Lighter fluid can be irritating to skin, and if ingested can produce gastrointestinal irritation and central nervous system depression. If lighter fluid is inhaled, aspiration pneumonia and breathing problems could develop.

Keep your pets on their normal diet.

Any change, even for one meal, can cause vomiting and diarrhea. This is especially true for animals with delicate digestive systems. In some cases your pet could develop pancreatitis. If you absolutely must give some special treats, give a few bites of raw fruits or veggies.

Do not put glow jewelry on your pets, or allow them to play with it. 

While the luminescent substance contained in these products is not highly toxic, excessive drooling and gastrointestinal irritation could still result from ingestions, and intestinal blockage could occur from swallowing large pieces of the plastic.

Keep citronella candles, insect coils and oil products out of reach.

Ingestions can produce stomach irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression. If inhaled, the oils could cause aspiration pneumonia in pets.

Never use fireworks around pets!

While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets, even unused fireworks can pose a danger. Many types contain potentially toxic substances, including potassium nitrate, arsenic and other heavy metals.

Loud, crowded fireworks displays are no fun for most pets.

Please resist the urge to take them to 4th of July festivities. Instead, keep your little guys safe from the noise in a quiet, sheltered and escape-proof area at home.

Happy a happy 4th!

How to Keep Your Pets Happy and Healthy on Halloween

How to Help Your Pets Enjoy Thanksgiving

5 Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day with Your Dog

Leave a Reply

latest news

What Does Being AAHA Accredited Mean?

Who is AAHA? The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) is the ...